Saturday, November 21, 2009

Chocolate Chip Stuffed French Toast


I had some leftover Italian bread and some leftover cream cheese (from making pumpkin whoopie pies last weekend), so my logical solution for using up these ingredients was making stuffed french toast. We are coming up on that time of year where we stuff things, after all. But we're usually stuffing birds, so I stuffed some bread this morning. And I stuffed it with a gooey, sweet cream cheese and chocolate filling. John liked the filling so much that he spread the extra on top of his toast (I prefer maple syrup on my french toast, but whatever). I had never made stuffed french toast before, but it was much easier than I thought and I will definitely be making it again.


Ingredients:
For the filling:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 Tbs sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbs mini chocolate chips

For the toast:
8 slices of white bread
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
butter

Directions:
1. Using an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Stir in chocolate chips.

2. In a shallow bowl or pie plate, combine egg, milk, sugar, and cinnamon. Whisk until combined.

3. Spread a slice of bread with the cream cheese filling. You'll use about 1-2 tablespoons, depending on how big your bread is and how much you like cream cheese filling. Place another slice of bread on top and press gently so the slices stick together.

4. Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Once the pan is heated, put a pat of butter in there. Dip your stuffed bread into the egg coating. Let the coating sink in for about 20 seconds, then flip it over and let it soak into the other side. Let the excess drip off, and then cook it in your preheated pan until crispy and golden (about 2 minutes per side).

Serves 2



.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so freaking hungry on this cold snowy day... And I want some of your french toast. But I don't have any cream cheese.

All My Love, Auntie :) xoxoxoxo