Monday, November 2, 2009

Apple Squares



I prefer low-maintenance baking. This could change one day when I get my dream appliance: A Kitchen Aid mixer.  But for now, I like things that require little more than mixing a few ingredients together, popping them in the oven, and then sitting back and enjoying the delicious smells coming from the kitchen. My mom's apple square recipe totally fit the bill on this cool fall afternoon. These are so simple to make, and use only one mixing bowl so clean-up is minimal.

So what exactly is an apple square, you ask? I guess it's kind of an apple cake... all you really need to know is that it's delicious. Mom's been making these as long as I can remember and they never lasted long. When I was a kid, I liked them without the nuts, but today I threw in some pecans since I had some in the pantry.Walnuts would work here too.

I usually eat these straight up, but I think they would be pretty amazing if you served them with some caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. And maybe some toasted pecans sprinkled on top.  Mmm.

Apple Squares
Recipe from Mum

Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 cups diced apples (I used MacIntosh)
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Grease and flour a 13x9 inch pan.

Mix together sugar, eggs, corn oil and vanilla.  Add flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Fold in the apples and nuts. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Makes 12 squares.



.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I want a Kitchen Aid mixer, too! They are so dreamy... I might even totally camp it up and get a PINK one. Sigh...

Unknown said...

Oh, I forgot to stop by and get one of these yesterday!!!

Unknown said...

Delicious!!

Mum said...

Yum! Now I feel like baking!