Monday, January 4, 2010

Baked Potato Soup


Oh, Monday-After-a-Long-Weekend, how I hate you. You bring nothing but bitter cold weather, the beginnings of a sinus infection, and numerous trivial annoyances at the office. And yet you suddenly ceased to bother me after I had a bowl of this amazing baked potato soup from Cooking Light.

It's honestly absurd that something this good could be considered "light." Bake your potatoes the night before, and this comes together for a quick weeknight meal. Make this soon, and don't skip the bacon... it adds the perfect salty crunchiness, in the way that only bacon can.


Ingredients:
4  baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds)
2/3  cup  all-purpose flour (about 3 ounces)
6  cups  2% reduced-fat milk
1  cup  (4 ounces) reduced-fat shredded extrasharp cheddar cheese, divided
1  teaspoon  salt
1/2  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
1  cup  reduced-fat sour cream
3/4  cup  chopped green onions, divided
6  bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
Cracked black pepper (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400°.

Pierce potatoes with a fork; bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Peel potatoes; coarsely mash.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flour in a large Dutch oven; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes). Add mashed potatoes, 3/4 cup cheese, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat.

Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup onions. Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated (do not boil). Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 8 bowls. Sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese, 1 1/2 teaspoons onions, and about 1 tablespoon bacon. Garnish with cracked pepper, if desired.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups soup, 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese, 1 1/2 teaspoons onions, and about 1 tablespoon bacon)

Nutritional Information:
Calories: 329 (30% from fat)
Fat: 10.8g (sat 5.9g,mono 3.5g, poly 0.7g)
Protein: 13.6g
Carbohydrate: 44.5g
Fiber: 2.8g
Cholesterol: 38mg
Iron: 1.1mg
Sodium: 587mg
Calcium: 407mg


Download a printable recipe.
.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

When you posted on my blog, I clicked on your name to see if you were the "Bec" I thought you were... and I saw that YOU have a blog too! Yay! I just added you to my reader. I LOVE your blog!

Unknown said...

I just made this soup. Yum. :)

Anonymous said...

Now this sounds really good... I want to give it a shot... I'll let you know how it turns out...

All My Love, Auntie :)xoxoxoo